Frequently asked questions
Advance, together with the Australian Federal Government (through the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade), identified a need to showcase the work of current and emerging Australian leaders living abroad through the introduction of the Advance Global Australian Awards, as well as provide a unique opportunity to mentor our next generation of Australian leaders.
New ideas, technologies, products and services are the key to growing a stronger, more competitive economy and building a more socially inclusive society.
The annual awards were established as a means to build a culture that fosters these innovations among Australians and Australian businesses and promote Australia's world-class educational institutions.
Individuals can nominate themselves based on a pre-determined set of criteria.
Individuals can nominate others based on a pre-determined set of criteria.
*The selection panel will be appointed for approximately two years or more and will not be remunerated for their involvement and will aim to reflect Australia’s diversity and endeavour to include representatives with varying industry and cultural backgrounds. They will include eminent Australians living both abroad and in Australia.
*The selection panel will be chaired by the Advance Founder and Chair Emeritus and will consist of a minimum of five and a maximum of 12 voting members.
Advance staff do not serve on the Selection Panel or in any way participate in or influence the voting. Advance staff may submit nominations.
Please see the Eligibility section of the website for more information.
Final-year university students (at the undergraduate or postgraduate level) across Australia are encouraged to apply for the Advance Global Australian Awards Mentoring Program.
To apply, students must complete an online application form with their personal details, outlining why they should be selected. See our Mentoring page for more information.
Nominations for the 2018 Advance Global Australian Awards close on Friday the 23rd of February 2018.
- Demonstrated excellence in their field.
- Demonstrated innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship. Extent to which impact was achieved by conceiving of and performing work in new and creative ways.
- Demonstrated significant impact or contribution in their relevant fields.
- Capacity for innovation to contribute to a more socially and economically inclusive Australia.
- Demonstrated capacity to act as an inspirational Global Australian role model abroad.
- Individuals may nominate themselves or others
- Nominees must be Australian citizens or Australian residents
- Nominees must demonstrate significant global impact in their industry
- Nominees must have lived overseas at some point in their career (we are including repatriates)
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Industry awards will not be granted to retirees, must still be functioning within their industry
- Each applicant can submit applications in more than one category
- Unsuccessful nominees may re-nominate in subsequent years
- Awardees cannot receive a second award in the same award category, but can be considered for recognition in a separate category in following years
- Groups of people or couples will normally not be eligible though in exceptional cases the selection panel reserves the right to consider such nominations
- Selection panel reserves the right to move nominees across categories as they see fit
- Current members of the Advance staff, Advance Board of Directors and Global Advisory Council are not eligible
- All nominees will be considered for the overall Advance Global Australian Award without exception.
- Individuals may nominate themselves or others.
- Nominees must be alumni of an Australian university, and a non-Australian citizen.
- Nominees must live outside of Australia at least half of the year.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- Each applicant can submit no more than one application and will judged on their demonstrated leadership, vision, action and innovation in one of the following categories: Advanced Manufacturing, Commercial Creatives, Education, Financial Services, Food and Agriculture, Life Sciences, Mining and Resources, Social Impact, Sport, Sustainability, Technology Innovation and The Arts and will be evaluated against these criteria.
- Unlike the Advance Global Australian Awards where individuals are recognised several categories, only one overall Advance Global Alumni Award will be awarded.
- Unsuccessful nominees may re-nominate in subsequent years.
- Groups of people or couples will normally not be eligible though in exceptional cases the selection panel reserves the right to consider such nominations eligible.
- Current members of the Advance staff and Advance Board of Directors are not eligible.
Self-nominate or nominate an individual by completing the online nomination form.
To be eligible, nominating mentees must be enrolled in their final year of study at a recognised Australian tertiary institution. Mentees can be studying at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Commercial Creatives
- Financial Services
- Food and Agriculture
- Life Sciences
- Mining and Resources
- Social Impact
- Technology Innovation
- The Arts
Yes. Details on the Awards ceremony can be found here.
2012 was the inaugural year of the Advance Global Australian Awards. Advance aims to recognise extraordinary individuals who have made, or are making a significant contribution to Australia’s global innovation and thought leadership.