Candidates were judged on their demonstrated leadership, vision, action and innovation in their field. Award nominees were evaluated against five (5) main criteria:
- Demonstrated excellence in their field.
- Demonstrated innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship. Extent to which impact was achieved by conceiving of and performing work in new and creative ways.
- Demonstrated significant impact or contribution in their relevant fields.
- Capacity for innovation to contribute to a more socially and economically inclusive Australia.
- Demonstrated capacity to act as an inspirational Global Australian role model abroad.
Judges also gave consideration to:
- Personal, academic and professional achievements.
- Contribution to the Australian and global communities.
- Voluntary work beyond paid employment.
- Nature and length of activity or service.
- Availability and commitment to promote Advance and the Award in the year(s) following their award at a minimum of two events in the year following.
- Availability and commitment to contribute to the mentoring of a university student for a 12 month period.
- While no upper age limit is stipulated, preference will be given to those who have made and are still making a major contribution in their field.